Monday, January 12, 2009

Monastic Journal - Day 4

1/10

Today (Saturday) we started off by going to a men's breakfast for Work of Christ, the local community of families that Servants of the Word associates with. There was awesome food, times of worship and testimony, and good fellowship. The thing that strikes me most about these men who choose to seriously follow the lifestyle of a disciple of Christ is that they are real men. They realize that God created them to be men, and they pursue that with everything that that entails. And in all this they really love the Lord.

When we got back, we had two teaching sessions with Nico (another one of the elders), one on meditation and one on the covenant of the Servants of the Word. On Saturday evenings, the household celebrates the Lord's Day. Since they all go off to different churches on Sunday morning, they take this time to celebrate the Sabbath as their community. They said that this is probably the high point of the week for them, and they take it very seriously. So that is what we did this evening. We began by doing some prayer and worship, then moved into sharing a "feast" (as they call it), which consisted of bread (this delicious bread that Nico made), cheese, and wine (us HU boys passed on the last one :) ), and sharing how God had blessed us this past week. Then we moved into an awesome dinner. After that everyone helped clean up, and it was an awesome experience as Tadgh was playing guitar and everyone was singing songs loudly and having a great time while working. Then there was a group fellowship time, where we all played a large game of mafia and then I played darts with some guys while the rest were upstairs playing board games and such. What I loved about all of this (aside from the great food, fun, and worship) was that the Light of Christ, represented in a candle, was present throughout all of it. This truly was fellowship in Christ. I love that.

A big thing that I love at this house is the diversity. Tadgh is from Ireland, Nagib is from Lebanon, Bernhard is from Germany, Nico is originally from France, and guys from all over the U.S. I love being around so many different people, who are united by the common love of Christ. It's refreshing.

Today, after our session on meditation, I made a point of having some quiet time with the Lord, and I worked on meditation. I popped my Bible open to the Psalms and read the first one I saw, Psalm 100. The last verse was the one that struck me, and I chose to meditate on that. t was simple, but strong: "For the Lord is good, and his love endures forever. His faithfulness continues through all generations." I kept repeating that in my head and out loud. I meditated on the fact that, from the beginning to the end of time, God is faithful to His people. Even though we change and fail and betray Him, the Lord is unchanging in His faithfulness and His love that endures forever. He is good, and I am not. I think I'm going to try and meditate a bit more before bed.

*SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment