Sunday, January 18, 2009

Monastic Journal - Day 11

1/17

Today (Saturday) we actually got to sleep in until 8am. I'll take whatever I can get. The usual breakfast and morning prayers followed, and at around 10 we went to a food bank that also had a ton of other stuff for the poor and we sorted out a lot of their leftover donations from Christmas. For some reason, I found myself really irritable during a lot of this time. I don't know why exactly, but somehow I ended up in a bad mood. I managed to hold it in and not take it out on anyone (I think), but it bothered me that such a random mood swing was getting the best of me.

After we got back and had lunch, we had a Foundations session with Mark, whose voice sounds exactly like Dr. Brautigaum's from HU, on manly character. After that we went to a middle school gym and played basketball. It was a lot of fun, but I rolled my ankle pretty bad. I hate it when that happens. I was surprised at the physical shape and athleticism of some of the older brothers. That's another thing I really admire them for--they take care of their bodies and stay fit. I think it's a part of their theology, worshipping God by taking care of what He gave them. I need to start excercising more.

This evening was the Lord's Day celebration. After only two experiences of it, I have really come to love this time. It was basically the same format as the house in Lansing did, with a few of there own unique twists here and there. The whole evening is just a night of prayer and fellowship, reminding us that Christ is the center of our lives together. I love that kind of intentional community. After dinner we had a mini house-wide Olympiad, which was a ton of fun, even though my team lost. But good times were had by all.

*SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment