Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Living with monks!

Today i'm leaving for my J-term class, where i, along with five other guys, will be going up to Michigan to live with monks for two weeks. These aren't traditional, live in a monastery, robe-wearing, weird haircut, silent monks. The organization is called Servants of the Word, and these guys all have regular jobs and stuff, but live together in a spiritual community and support each other. They all have also taken vows of celibacy, to live single for the Lord. I'm really excited about this opportunity. None of us going really know what to expect, since we haven't been given many details about what our day-to-day living will look like, but all i'm really expecting is that God is going to do some great things in my life, and in the lives of those going with me. I'm also really looking forward to getting their perspective on singleness, and i've been praying that God will use this to help me further define His call for me in that area.

I've known for a while (since last summer), that the call to be a disciple requires work on my end, and the practice of spiritual disciplines. But i can never seem to find the motivation to work for it. I'm praying that this adventure will show me the joys of practicing the spiritual disciplines in my life and the joy of finding growth in my relationship with God. So we're about to leave in a couple hours, and i'm just going to give this whole thing up to God, and pray that He does with this as He will. I'm definitely going to be journaling a lot, and i'll try to update on here, but i'm not sure what my access to wireless will be like up there. so we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment