Monday, January 19, 2009

Monastic Journal - Day 12

1/18

Today was Sunday, the Lord's Day. We began at 8 with breakfast and morning prayer. I love starting out the day this way. It's a great time to consecrate and submit the day ahead to the Lord. We went with Doc to a small African-American church. It was an interesting experience. I've been to African-American churches before and loved it, but at this one I had trouble connecting with God and worshipping in their style. It was super long, too. But everyone there was really kind to us visitors.

This afternoon we had a Desert Fathers discussion with Doc. The book is getting better--possibly because we're realizing that we're almost done with it. After that we just had free time to relax or whatever. I decided to take a nice nap, which seems to be a recurring theme for me on this trip. This evening all we did was watch a movie with some of the brothers. It was nice to just chill today.

At dinner Ed, the house head (a really great guy who I'm coming to like a lot), talked to us about our (lack of) experience with charismatic worship. He said that a tradition in this house was to pray over people to be baptized in the Holy Spirit and suggested that we do that before we leave. This seemed like an answer to prayer for me, and I'm excited about it. It's been my prayer for the past week or so that the Lord would baptize me in the Holy Spirit, but nothing has really happened. I've wondered if it's necessary to have elders lay hands and pray over someone in order to receive the Holy Spirit, as it's done in Acts, but I've been too nervous about it to ask anyone. I know that God has more for me, and I want it. So we'll see how that turns out.

*SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment