Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Practice of the Presence of God

I just finished reading this book, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. This man was incredible. He was a monk who desired to literally always be in the presence of God in every moment. He desired to completely empty himself of everything that was not of God so that God could have complete rule in his heart. He did every task, however small, for the love of God. His aim was to faithfully and lovingly carry out the duties of the station where God had placed him (Brother Lawrence worked in a kitchen). He said that, "God regards not the greatness of the work, but the love which prompts it." He also said, "In the way of God, thoughts count for little, love is everything."

I read these words and I think about the life that Brother Lawrence lived, and it seems almost unrealistic. I don't know if I'll ever come close to that. Since I started reading it, I've been trying to "practice the presence," but I'm pretty terrible at it. I quickly get wrapped up in something else and completely forget about God for hours at a time. But to Brother Lawrence it was second nature. It was hard for him not to be in the presence of God. That's crazy.

I know that a life lived this way won't happen overnight. I know it will take work. That's what this summer's learning has been about for me. But it's hard for me to grasp this and commit to it. But I want to move forward. One of my favorite quotes from this book was one of encouragement from Brother Lawrence to the one he was writing to: "We must, nevertheless, always work at it, because not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep." The Holy Spirit needs to be my motivator and guide in this--the gale steering my sails. To progress closer to God even in sleep--now there's something to aim towards.

I want to learn how to really love God. I've realized that I've always known the right words and the right actions. The right way to let others know that I'm a strong follower of Christ. But it's so easy to spout of a Scripture or an encouraging prayer. This is not love. This is scripted. I want to know love. Love is what prompts us to do anything for the object of our love. No matter how small the task, expression, or gift, it is the love behind it that counts. Brother Lawrence had this love for God. He did every task, no matter how menial, for the love of God, because God had put him in that place to do these menial duties in the kitchen. It was God's will that this monk sought to please and fulfill. This is love. To surrender your will to the will of the one you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment