Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cars, dumb smiles, and Clint Eastwood

I saw the movie Gran Torino today. It was really good, exceeding any expectations i had for it. But one point that was made in the movie (not important at all to the plot) was when the girl Sue was introducing Walt to her family and their culture, she commented that the Hmong people tend to avoid eye contact and they smile or grin when they feel embarrassed or insecure. WOAH! I do that all the time!!! I thought that was weird. When i'm feeling uncomfortable or insecure as i'm in conversation or in any situation really, i tend to get this really dumb-looking grin on my face. It confuses people sometimes, and it really bothers me a lot of the time. It's dumb. But now i've found some solace in knowing that in certain cultures on the other side of the world, this is acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment