Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

This Lent i really want to make it purposeful. I want to know why we do things as Christians, and i want to put meaning behind everything that i do for it. I want to see what the LORD can do in me during this season that is celebrated by most of the Church throughout the world. I've never done this before. It should be interesting.

Last night a friend and i were talking about why we give stuff up for Lent and what we should give up. It occurred to me then that I've never really given anything up for Lent for the purpose that it is intended for. If Lent is about dying to myself in preparation for the new life that Christ has for me in the Resurrection, then the fasting/giving stuff up for Lent is a way for me to cut out part of my old life that i'm supposed to be dying to. I suggested this to my friend, and suggested to him that we should probably give up whatever it was in our lives that, even though not inherently bad, keeps us from giving ourselves fully to the LORD.

So last night i decided that i'm going to be giving up Facebook for Lent. It's something that, although not inherently evil, i waste far too much time on--time that could be better spent devoted to the LORD or being productive for classes or something. Since i'm kind of a Facebook addict, this is going to be tough, but i think i can do it alright. So we'll see. I just want to make this Lent season count for what it's supposed to. All to the glory of God.

1 comment:

  1. So I was going to post something on facebook - glad I read this entry first! *grin*

    You put it well that Lent isn't simply about giving things up, but it sure is good to some giving up on occasion.
    One of our readings at a retreat recently spoke about the "Bright Sadness" of Lent and the monotony that produces silence. I think that's what some of the giving up that we do can produce: silence that enables us to hear our Master...

    Peace mate!

    ReplyDelete