Monday, February 9, 2009

3 Things

Here are 3 things that i believe that God has put on my heart recently to teach others. It's possible that i'll blog about each of these, but possibly not.

1. Fear of the LORD
This is one that has really impacted the way i view the LORD. I don't think it means a "healthy respect," pseudo Sunday school answer. I think it has huge implications on how we view the LORD, which in turn has the potential to impact everything we do.

2. Idolatry
This one is everywhere. And we don't even see it. We like to focus on the much more visible sins, like sex, drugs, rock n' roll, etc. But i really think that there are many greater problems in our society than these, especially for Christians. An idol is anything we place in a position before the LORD. It is a killer when you really sit down and think about all that this entails.

3. Singleness
I've blogged about this a lot in the past, and been blessed enough to have it generate conversation about the topic. But after living for the two weeks of J-term with men who have devoted their lives to living single for the LORD, i think i've gained a lot more clarity on the issue. Over J-term, something that Mike Kramer told us (and has stuck with me ever since) is that if you are serious about being a real disciple of Christ, singleness is something that you should definitely look into. Mainly from Paul's exhortations in 1 Cor. 7, living single is something that is a gift that the LORD gives to some of his disciples, in order to serve Him better. In our society, this completely rocks the boat. It's not what we've been taught at all. But it needs to be. I'm still not sure where God is calling me on this, but lately i've been thinking that maybe God does want me to get married. I almost do wish that He were calling me to live single, so that my life would be a testimony to this great gift to those disciples of His who may not have ever considered this before. But as always, it is His purpose that prevails.

May the LORD grant me the courage and the determination to reach out to His people with the things He has given me to say. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment