Monday, May 31, 2010

Another Decision

I just decided this weekend that I'm pretty sure I am a pacifist.

It took a terrible Memorial Day sermon in church for me to finally come to this conclusion, which I've been wrestling with for a while now. When it really came down to it, I see no way to justify killing a human being that is made in God's image. No matter how just you think your cause is, God's purpose for life and redemption is a greater cause. Of course, there are still going to be gray areas, and I'm not foolish enough to assume that this is enough to satisfy all of life's questions on these issues. But I've decided that I need to start living my life and organizing my principles around this cause--fighting for life, rather than to end or harm it. From what Jesus has taught me, I see no other way for me in my life right now. I'd love to discuss it more if you're interested, because that will help me flesh out my thoughts even more.

Ironically, I just realized that I struggled with the same kind of thoughts last Memorial Day. You can read my discussion with Steve about all that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment